Master of Urban and Regional Planning - Máster en Planificación Urbanística y Regional
Recent years have seen debates on ‘urban renewal’ – the replacement or upgrading of city fabric – becoming increasingly central within Australia’s metropolitan planning and public policy discourse. Nowhere is this more true than in Sydney. Urban renewal is emerging as the major challenge facing Australia’s metropolitan areas for the foreseeable future.
Both linked with renewal projects, and more broadly, concerns around housing are also once more high on Australia’s public policy and urban planning agenda. Increasingly, the need for appropriate and effective housing policy is being highlighted as materially important not only in enhancing urban quality of life, but also in maximizing city productivity. Consequently, for a growing body of local and state government policymakers, as well as for numerous NGOs, consultants and others, urban renewal and housing matters are of central interest.
completion of a recognized bachelor degree
meet English requirements.
* Some programs have additional entry requirements, please contact UNSW for this information.
1. Apply disciplinary knowledge and skills in order to address urban spatial and social problems where housing and/or renewal initiatives may be an appropriate response.
2. Demonstrate an appreciation of efficiency, effectiveness and equity considerations relevant to urban renewal and housing policies or initiatives.
3. Recognise the similarities and contrasts between Australian urban renewal and housing agendas and experiences and those of comparator countries internationally.
4. Interpret and communicate knowledge, skills and ideas to both specialist and non-specialist audiences.
5. Demonstrate cultural awareness, environmental and social responsibility, and a respect for diversity.
6. Demonstrate professional and ethical conduct and personal accountability consistent with contemporary public service expectations.
URH Graduate Certificate students will study four core courses (24 UOC) as follows:
BENV7811 Urban Renewal (6 UOC)
PLAN7156 Housing Policy (6 UOC)
PLAN7320 Housing Management and Markets (6 UOC)
PLAN7321 Implementing Regeneration (6 UOC)